Monday, March 31, 2008

Growing critters in class!

The caterpillars are growing fast. I expect that they'll cocoon before Friday.
This isn't very clear, but this is a praying mantis egg. Large isn't it? Many praying mantis will hatch from this egg and they will be similar to mosquito's in appearance at first. I will let them go after they hatch for several reasons: 1) they eat a lot of little bugs ~ which I do not have and am not going to try and get. 2) they have fierce appetites - making for bad roommates for my silkworms and butterfly's. 3) the instructions that came with them recommend release after hatching.

I have no new pictures of the silkworms as they haven't hatched yet. I think by Friday, so I will have to make a new bouquet of mulberry leaves. It must be mulberry leaves or they will be unable to spin silk, that would be sad.
The trees have numerous clusters of ladybug eggs. I am going to try and get some clear pictures, but don't know. They are bright orange which means the ladybug larva are ready to hatch.

Alex came over tonight to show me the skin from his boa, she shed today, about 6 feet long. He will let me borrow it and take it to school to show the kids. I will need to find something to put it in so they don't destroy it. It is intact in one long piece. Amazing.

No comments:

Daily scripture