Saturday, April 5, 2008

Coocon's

The flowers are called Sweet William's (????), and they attract butterfly's to gardens. As you can see mine are just beginning to bloom and will continue to do so all summer. They multiply every year so I have bunches and bunches of them. On Thursday towards the end of class all the caterpillars were hanging upside down. They children were jumping so one fell down. I was afraid that was the end of it. When I came in Friday morning, as you can see, they all had made their cocoons ~ even the one on the bottom of the container.
In about a week we will see them emerge from their cocoons. I will gently lift the lid and attach it to the side of the larger container they share with the silkworms, so when they emerge they will have room to expand their wings. I will bring in a bunch of the Sweet William and let them stay in the container for a day or so then we will let them go. Last year 3 of the 5 had deformed wings so we couldn't let them go. I feed them with the flowers.

No comments:

Daily scripture