Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dinosaur Cake ♥

I am doing a unit on dinosaurs for my prek. class ~ and this is our dinosaur cake. After I cut it and laid it out we talked about what type, and colors of skin. They knew it was a stegosaurus and also knew that scientists know the texture of skin from fossils, but not the colors.
They chose the colors, we mixed it up. (I used food color and added milk to the frosting to make it the consistency of a thick glaze)

The children then proceeded to decorated with frosting and sprinkles.






They then got to choose what part of the dinosaur they wanted to eat, and they were picky.




They also made "fossils" and really had fun! I use a baking soda/corn starch mix that is cooked and use (used) coffee grounds to make it look like dirt. To decorated we used dinosaur skeletons and non skeletal dinosaurs and small sea shells. The shells got to stay in the mix, I then put small dabs of glue around the shells if they weren't embedded enough. It really is a fun unit and I have lots of very enthusiastic children!





2 comments:

Dawn said...

Very creative! Livi has been studying dinosaurs at preschool, too, but they haven't made a cake.

Joan said...

That's so cute!
Hope all is well with you.
Blessings

Daily scripture