Saturday, January 24, 2009

Random thoughts

After going into the vets everyday to bring Kandy home, and being told one more night, we got to bring her home yesterday. She is still weak from not eating much and all the meds. I have to take her back Monday for a recheck. This dog was one we had gotten for my parents when she was 8 weeks old, she is now 13 1/2 years old. She has cancer, what do we do? After much thought we have decided not to do the tests or treat her. How do you tell an old dog that you are going to cause her more pain so she (maybe will live another year)? And the treatments can go on and on. We will just make her life as pleasant as we can.
She used to be rather aggressive, and we believe it may have been because my parents were elderly and she was protecting them (she is half Queensland red and half Manchester terrier). Though she has mellowed out considerably since she came to live with us 8 1/2 years ago, I wouldn't trust her around my grandchildren, she is old. She got very used to being around people when Keith and Elizabeth were in high school. We had an open door policy and kids were always in and out for one reason or another. Though there are still a few people she hasn't taken to, she does try and can be very loving. Being an outside dog, she has no house manners and right now I have her in the bathroom until the weather warms a little or she is a little stronger. We have to check on her, give her water, food and her meds and take her for walks so she can do what she needs to.

This week has gone by rather fast. I am now visiting blogs and doing some catch up. Dan is at a men's conference until 2, and K is at a swapmeet with his brother, so I have some time to myself. I need to go to the resource center to do some things for school on Monday, a little housework and a little shopping.

We went bowling again last night. I won't say what my score was, God never intended for me to be a great bowler ~ but it was fun! I am little sore in my legs, muscles I don't use often. I will start back at the gym on Tuesday, so maybe get those muscles working again.
Have a great day & God Bless ♥

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Bowling - I haven't done it much, but I am really bad! I think my 6 year old GD beat me in her first time bowling.

It's hard when a pet gets old and sick. Hard to know what to do.

Daily scripture