Friday, October 3, 2008

My cake

I finished the fondant and gum paste class. This is the first flower, right after I put shimmer dust on it. In total, I made 7 of the carnations.
The cake we chose to decorate has 7 carnations on it, but it was OK to just put on 4 and save the rest (for the bridal shower cake). Here are the 4 on top of the cake, 3 with the pink shimmer dust and 1 with the gold. I will make more for the other cake for a total of 4 pink and 3 gold.

A long shot of the cake, not to bad for a novice. However, it is a little lopsided. The little blue box is a favor box made out of fondant. I may glue one of the daisies I made on top of it and use it as added decor for the shower.
The cake I decorated is going with us on Saturday to a family reunion. The cake is a cinnamon vanilla wedding cake recipe with butter cream frosting (under the fondant). I did enjoy the class and learned how to use fondant and made some flowers and other decorations, not shown. I got a certificate of completion also.

When it is time to eat I will peel the fondant off, it really isn't very tasty mainly just sugar. It makes for great decorations and great looks on cakes. The gum paste is used for the flowers and finer decorations. It doesn't stretch as much and dries hard.
It is suppose to rain this weekend, and we really need the rain. I am hoping is will just be a few showers here and where we are going Sat. as to not spoil the family reunion to much. I am hoping that the rain will stay towards the mountains/sierras and that it will put out the fire in Kings Canyon, which is not aggressively being fought at this time as no people, dwellings, etc. are being threatened. It is being treated as a control burn, I think that is what I heard. However the smoke does blow this way into the valley, and for those with asthma it is bad. For those who don't know the San Joaquin valley is one of the top 3 areas in the U.S. for bad air quality and has an extremely high populous with asthma and other respiratory problems, nothing to brag about. The rain does clear the air and makes life a little easier when you can breath better.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

YOu did a great job, and it looks like a lot of work! I hope the rain stayed where you wanted it to and that you have had a wonderful day!

Daily scripture