Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring!

OK, so the first day of spring was Friday. We "celebrated" in class by making vegetable soup. Having to do with our theme of gardening/planting/spring, and following 2 of the stories we are reading and discussing with the children. All went well. Then on Saturday night, late this wild and crazy storm came through Calif. and dumped rain and snow where ever it could. I am grateful for what we got, though it wasn't enough. It rained Sunday morning and by the time church was out the rain was over and the storm moved on. Today it was in the mid 60's and tomorrow it is suppose to be 70. I am glad we went to Yosemite the weekend before as it snowed there over the weekend, roads were closed and those open required chains.


Now I am curious as to the type of birds that visit my yard. If you click on the photos they will enlarge. I am posting more for identification. It is really hard to get good pictures, even with my zoom lens on. Just as soon as I walk out the door the birds fly away. Even when I am trying to be as quite as I can. Occasionally I can sneak out for a picture.


Any comments are appreciated.
God Bless.


3 comments:

Joan said...

I have no idea, but don't you just love em.
I thinking of putting up a bird feeder this Spring.

Blessings

Cayla said...

Out here in PA, we've experienced some not-so-spring-like weather, too. Friday was nice, Saturday was pretty chilly, especially in the AM, but Sunday morning when we got to church, there were snow flurries falling!
As for the birds, I just recently had some of these guys start showing up at my feeder. (I haven't seen 'em all winter!) They're male house finches. They're usually just brown and red, but in your first photo, you can see some tinges of orange, too, which some individuals have from something they eat around the time they molt. They have a beautiful song, too, and once you recognize it, you hear it all the time. :) Sometimes male House Finches are hard to tell apart from male Purple Finches, and out west, you have they Cassin's Finch, too. The individual(s) that you have here are pretty clear cut Houses, but this site is really good if you're ever unsure of one:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/finchIDtable.html
Hope that helps. =)

Dawn said...

They're cute, aren't they? We have lots of finches in our feeder, but they aren't puffy around the head like that. I haven't heard their voices, but wish I could. They lose lots of their food to the resident squirrel.

We had beautiful weather last week, then really windy and cold the last two days. I think it came from there. However, we haven't had any moisture here in our valley -

Daily scripture