Sunday, December 16, 2007

Yesterday Morning.

Yesterday was a long day for me. It started out on a really sad note. I went to the services of a little boy in my class. Just 2 weeks shy of his 5th birthday. So hard and so sad. I have known his family for 6 years, having various cousins and his 2 brothers in my class over the years. plus working with his aunt for 2 years. Plus because of his family I have seen this little boy grow from a little baby. When you work with young children you let them into your heart, but I let his family in also since I have known them so long and they are such a great family to be around. I have never been to Hmong funeral before, and it continues for days. His service is over today at 2, and his burial is at 3, I will also be there for his parents and his aunt and uncle and cousins, his brothers and grandparents. He died from a type of pneumonia. It doesn't matter who or what type of service, the feelings run deep and the emotions are very real. He will be missed, so very special, very social ~ all the children liked him, very lively, so full of energy, loved doing his work. I could go on.

Telling my parents at a special meeting was very hard, I had melt down in front of them, I couldn't help it ~ some of their children were 'best' friends with him. We had other school staff, the GIS, school psychologists, nurse, my supervisor there to help the parents. I left it to the parents to tell their children. I will have some paper set aside and markers and crayons for any of the children to draw pictures and "write" letters for him. We will write their words and I will give the 'cards' to the family with his school memories. I will bind his work in a little booklet (like I do at the end of the year), and I will get copies of pictures I have taken in the class and put them in an album for the family. All I can tell the children is he was very, very sick and will not be coming back. We will miss him so much.


No comments:

Daily scripture