Friday, July 10, 2009

Awwwww , that's all I have to say!

Haven't done much blogging lately. Sooooooo, I am now doing some catch up. Haven't blogged much about Dan's surgery. Of course I have kept the kids updated with all that was going one. It is just a hard swallow when you hear the word 'cancer.' But all has gone well and everything looked good and clean after the surgery. Of course there will be more testing at a later date, that is just a precautionary procedure. As he has said, it is really nice to have so many God fearing friends and family who have been praying for him, and irregardless of how things may have turned out, it's OK when you have the Lord in your life. While waiting for him to go into surgery our pastor and 2 of the elders came by and sat with us and prayed with us. While he was in surgery anther couple we are good friends with came by and sat with me until the doctor came out. It is a real comfort having friends in Christ that can come and just be with you. It has been a little over 3 weeks and he is doing remarkably well. Still gets a little more tired then before, but that is because his body is still healing.
We have a good friend, (who will be 82 in Aug.) His wife had a stroke about a year and half ago, so she is not as strong as she used to be. Anyway, he has the flu (also diabetic) so Dan spent the night there last night to help out in case anything happened. God has a plan and He uses His own to help and comfort His own, also. Things were much better today and he was holding down his food and feeling better.

Had a nice 2 day visit with Rochelle and family. Kinda did nothing much the first day they were here. Would have taken the boat out or gone to the lake if it weren't for Dan's recent surgery. (Hopefully after his 6 week check up we can take the boat out again). But, to the enjoyment of the little one's, "Bob the Builder" was at the met, so we ladies packed up the kids and headed downtown to the museum. Needless to say Brandon & Caitlin had a fantastic time. They even got to meet "Bob". We all enjoyed ourselves, and it was fun to play there with the little ones.


We did get the kiddie pool out for them each day and they really enjoyed it, and of course we enjoyed watching them.




The day after Rochelle and Brian and kids left, Elizabeth and I headed to our place at the lake. My bother and his youngest were there. It was a nice visit. We headed to Lakeport for the fireworks display over the lake. It was nice, haven't been there for the 4th for a while.


There may be 10 1/2 years between them but they had fun "poking each other."

When Elizabeth and I headed home we went to St. Helena and some of the wineries. We stopped at Charles Krug first. The 2nd place we stopped was at the old Christian Brothers Winery, which since sometime in the 70's has been "The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone." We went inside to look around. Every since I was real young I can remember wanting to stop at this place and now I have. I got some real nice pictures inside, and it is remarkable inside. Of course I wanted to buy everything in the store but of course ~ I didn't!


The photo above shows the swallows nests on the building. It was built in the middle 1800's.




We stopped at Beringer Winery.This was his house, and it is just as amazing inside.
The stained glass windows are fantastic and the woodwork is amazing. Just beautiful.
Stopped at a couple other places, didn't taste everywhere we stopped, it can get pricey.


The last place we stopped was Robert Mondavi, and that was the favorite for the wine. I didn't have much as I was driving and still had a 4 1/2 hour drive ahead of me, but I did taste. R. M. has a desert wine that is really good. I should mention that wine can sit in my refrigerator for quite some time, as I am not much of a drinker, but I do like to cook with it.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Thanks for stopping by - somehow I missed the cancer surgery story - I am glad it is going well!

Wow, there is obviously a lot of money in wine! Beautiful places.

I'm glad it seems to have cooled off a bit for you. We've had our first weather above 90 this last week - very unusual to be so cool so long. I loved it! And the afternoon rains were wonderful for our lawns and crops.

So where in Colorado will you be going? I hope you're enjoying retirement - but you're like my sister and it won't really hit you until school starts and you're not going!

Daily scripture